Friday, December 17

Album Review-- Lyfe 268-192-- Lyfe Jennings




Okay, so... folks you may be thrown off by this young man's first single, titled "Stick Up Kid". You may expect some young thugged out dude talking about nothing but robbing folks and drug deals. Believe it or not... Lyfe is talking about, well, life. This is his debut album on Sony Urban Music/Columbia.

A celebrated singer/songwriter/producer, Chester "Lyfe" Jennings, a 26 year-old Toledo, Ohio native and self-taught musician plays the guitar, bass and piano. Lyfe incorporates these and other live instrumentation into most of the tracks he produces. The album's title reflects an inmate number from time spent in an Ohio correctional institution. He took that time and experience to craft an intimate potrait.

Lyfe talks about, specifically, his stuggles with finding the perfect woman for him ("Must Be Nice", "I Can't"). On "She Got Kids", he speaks on being with a woman with children, and how if that relationship fails, what does he tell the kids? He touches on child support and baby momma drama on "Greedy", going to prison as a very young man on "Cry", and struggling to find himself and his own spirituality with "26 Years, 17 Days" and "Made Up My Mind".

I mean, I love it. I've played it all day everyday sice I bought it a week ago. Highly recommended. I mean, with all the bullshit music floating around these days, Lyfe comes at you real. It's an in your face, "Yeah, niggas, I'm here." type attitude.

A thug that actually has something to say, and says it articulately. And you know I love me a thug, right?











2 Comments:

At January 05, 2005 9:21 PM , Blogger nahmix said...

OMG...he opened for Lauryn Hill back in August here in Chicago. He sang this awful song...with some wack ass lyrics like...Biggie nigga reincarnated as a skinny nigga. We were all like WTF? He does however have decent vocals...but that thugged out look gotta go!

 
At January 08, 2005 2:08 PM , Blogger lilmzbabygrl said...

Okay... okay... a rhinestone tee-shirt is a bit much, that's true... I have yet to see him in concert so I don't know what the stage gear would be...

However, I do appreciate the fact that he has recorded a very good album without any type of assistance (he wrote all songs, and is executive producer)and that he has something to say, and he has vocals. I don't know... he came here to Cleveland right in the middle of the Blizzard Of '04 and as much as I would have liked to see him, I wasn't driving to the House Of Blues in 3 feet of snow... maybe if I saw him live...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home